Try this Italian pasta dish with a creamy sauce for a quick, simple meal for two.
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 free-range eggs
- 150ml/5fl oz double cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 225g/8oz dried spaghetti
- 150g/5oz smoked pancetta, cubed
- 100g/3½oz pecorino or parmesan, grated
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh marjoram leaves or flatleaf parsley
- In a large pan with salted water, boil the pasta according to packet instructions.
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over a medium-high heat and fry the pancetta and garlic for about 2-3 minutes, until the pancetta is crisp and browned. Reduce the heat to low.
- Lightly beat the eggs with the cream in a bowl and most of the grated cheese, reserving a little cheese for later purposes. Then season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Drain the liquid from the cooked spaghetti noodles and reserving a few tablespoons of the cooking water.
- Pour into the pan the spaghetti noodles with the pancetta and pour in the cream and egg mixture. Mix it well over a very low heat then adding a little pasta water to loosen the mixture, if need.
- Place the pasta in a serving bowl and sprinkle it with the remaining cheese and chopped herbs.